Ok, I can't tell you how many cosmetologists that tell me that the esthetician license is useless because you can get a hair license and do facials. I personally wanted an esthetics license because that is my passion, but I am hearing about more cosmos that are doing hair and taking the facial business to. Anyone have any comments on this? I am not trying to be a jack of all trades, I really love what I do!

Views: 12922

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With Cathy on this one.  A license in any field does NOT mean you are any good at it.  It's just a piece of paper at the end of the day.   Taking classes, improving all areas of your field and doing it with integrity will make you be the best.   I teach both licensed Esthy's and students before they get their license.  I can honestly say that some of the students I train I would hire in a heartbeat over some already licensed ones....due to integrity, professionalism and attitude.

Yes, agreed. I think there are some estheticians  around who have a ton of basic hours, but don' t retain anything or don't care enough to learn more. Then there are some with less hours who are great estheticians. A cosmo can be a great esthetician, but I was referring to those who do it with zero additional esthetics education. It is bad enough we have estheticians who don't think cont. ed is  important much less cosmos who get very little esthetics training.

Yes, I agree. However, some cosmos are doing facials with the most basic education and are not doing advanced education. A lot of estheticians have a license and are terrrible too so it really is dependent on the individual. 

I think sometimes people put too much energy into what others are doing.  Whether they are their strong competition or another license holder that is not our competition.  Embrace what you know and have pride in all the further education that you take upon yourself to learn.  If we put too much energy into what others are doing or are not doing it becomes a constant cycle of "he does, she does, he doesn't, she doesn't etc"  If they choose to be Jack of all trades with no particular area that is any good....embrace this....because guess who will get the high client retention rate and the increase in business? YOU!  It will be you.... the person who works head down minding their own business and just focuses on their own skills regardless of what others are doing.    Your brand is your brand and nobody can copy that and be you.    

I'm not sure it's so much worrying about competition...for me, it's more about client experience.  If someone goes to someone and gets a facial for the first time, and it's sub-par (as I've received a few of these), what bothers me is that then that client thinks all facials are like that, and they won't even bother trying one elsewhere.  And I'm in no way saying that a cosmetologist would give a sub par facial, I'm just stating that this is my reasoning for 'worrying about what others do', as I don't want potential clients turned off completely by someone who isn't correctly trained. 

I've had clients who got facials elsewhere and when I saw them (because someone bought them a gift card), they were lukewarm about it prior.  After I've finished, I've heard things like "wow, I never had a facial like that before"...and then they know.  But unfortunately some people won't give the service another chance somewhere else after a bad experience. 

Exactly. There are many one size fits all facials out there, and I believe most estheticians and even cosmos who are truly passionate about the field give their best each time. I was at a continuing ed class recently and I can't tell you how many estheticians didn't seem to care that much. Some talked over the instructor, and others were staring at their phones and then of course their were a couple serious ones. I do believe there is certainly a level of quality that goes in some services, and in others I think the service is lacking because the esthetician has lost the passion for the field.

Well said Cathy. I am only licensed in Esthetics (going on 15yrs now). My sister completed the whole Cosmo program in 1987 and ended up working as a manicurist for about 17 yrs because she was an artist in her own right and found that creating nail art was her passion.  In the past I sometimes wished I did the entire program just to know more.  If I did, I would be able to do tinting (with approved fda dyes) in California because State Board confirmed with me only a person with a cosmetologist license can tint a client.

I think all states should have the same rules regarding scopes of practice. I was taught tinting and brow, nose, leg and ear waxing in cosmo. But in basic skincare and advanced I was taught tinting and advanced speed waxing and lash extension along with chemical peels. I can understand that the testing in FL requires this knowledge to pass state boards but in cosmo they dont teach the contra for waxing. For tinting they require a 24 hour allergy skin test behind the ear but when a client come in for a tinting they are sent over to skin care to have it done.
Many other states require a practical test done on another person to show you can do it but FL testing is written theory and written practical.
Some states allow dermablading as a form of hair removal and exfoliation. FL law changed that estheticians now cant do it anymore or lotion application to the decolete.
It should be mandatory for all schools to teach the same curriculum for the same courses and a universal law board.

I guess it depends on the state. In Virginia cosmetologists can only cleanse, tone and moisturize the skin. Although I know a few that go beyond the scope of their license. :(

I attended a school (I'm in CA)  that had both a cosmo program and esthetics program separately.  From what I remember, the cosmo students had just 2 weeks of skin care training and the remainder of their year was spend focusing on hair and nails.

Nicole, a client had brought this up to me once and asked me why cosmos are allowed to do skincare.    She had been approached by her hairdresser who wanted to do a "facial" on her.  It's not common in my area for hairdressers to do skin care.  I explained the different levels of training involved. I asked her, "would you want me to color and cut your hair if I had only 2 weeks training"?  :o)

Hi Denise,

I do not mind if cosmos do facials at all, but I assume they must be very passionate about it. I met a woman yesterday at a continuing ed class who is a cosmo and is interested in switching gears. I agree different levels of training makes a difference.

I'm a licensed as a master cosmetologist, but decided I wanted to do esthetics, so I have chosen to go back to school for esthetics for the proper training on the use of products and the machines, I would love to work more in the medical side of esthetics and with cancer patients than in the spa end, not only that if you ever want to work for a product company most require you to have the esthetics license.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service