Ok, I can't tell you how many cosmetologists that tell me that the esthetician license is useless because you can get a hair license and do facials. I personally wanted an esthetics license because that is my passion, but I am hearing about more cosmos that are doing hair and taking the facial business to. Anyone have any comments on this? I am not trying to be a jack of all trades, I really love what I do!

Views: 12937

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sandy are you taking any Oncology classes? I think that would be very rewarding. A friend of mine who is an Etsy just asked me the other day if I was familiar or could give any advice. Besides Nursing School ( in PA) previous training or of course having been through or had a loved one - not sure we have many training options. There is online courses but a week for $800 seems high to me. I feel you could get a few books and educate yourself by talking to others and on the job training.

What are your thoughts? Seems to be a growing area in Esthetics

I won't be done with school until the middle of May, then I will be going back for my NCEA training, by the time I'm done with that it will be around August, so with any luck I'll be taking my state boards in June and my national testing in September. I'm just starting to look into the oncology training for the cancer end of it, I live in the Atlanta area, so I'll probably start checking with some local Dermatologits first to find out if they have any information on it.

Well, yes but that really does depend on the training you've received at beauty school. If you have, in fact, learnt about skin care and treatments and you're a licensed cosmetologist, then of course. I'm currently looking into the cosmetology programs in a few Provo beauty schools myself, so I've been reading a bit. :)

Lots of great feedback on your question here, one thing I would like to add is that the state scope of practice determines who can do what services, not what the school teaches. Hopefully a school would be up to date on the scope of an esthetician vs a cosmetologist but at times that may not happen. Just getting a cosmetologist license does not automatically guarantee that you can do all skin care services. I think everyone has really acknowledged that the right education in skin care is the most important part. Some of the best estheticians I know started out as  cosmetologists.

In our profession right now it is more important than ever to understand your scope of practice and provide services that do not harm the client. We have a lot of focus on us in many states right now and some are looking at reducing our scope.

I am a cosmetologist and also a paramedical Esthetician. Im passionate about both but yes, we are allowed to do facials. The only facials we are trained in doing is basic "fluff" facial for relaxation only.
Cosmetologist are not trained in doing treatments or chemical peels. I know I would be afraid to have a treatment or peel by someone that learned it on their own.
In FL esthetician arent "licensed" only registered. The only thing I can do that a registered esthetician cant do is apply lotion to feet and lower leg, below the knee because mani and pedi is part of our training and covered by our license.
Before I even finished my cosmo course I enrolled in the first half of the skincare program and after graduation I enrolled in the advanced program. I find it very satisfying to extend beauty from hair to skin.
When I was in school, my "basics" course (the first 6 weeks) was offered to the cosmetology students as an "advanced esthetics" course. So they learned basic facials from the book and then received this "advanced" training with me which was designed to get me started. Most of the essentials of esthetics were taught after that first six weeks.

I think the problem lies in professionals who are trying to multitask. It's great if you want to switch gears from hair and do esthetics as a change of pace, but dont do a facial over a bowl. Don't overextend your level of expertise to any and all just because you can and because it makes you money. Take the time to develop your expertise with commitment.

But honestly, I've always felt there shouldn't even BE a cosmetology license. There should be schools for hair, nails,,esthetics, massage and makeup with separate individual licenses for each. That's just my very unpopular opinion though.

Samantha--well written and to the point. I agree. It isn't a problem for any of us to cross over into different beauty fields, but focus on being really good at one thing. I think some people are wearing many beauty hats to get a piece of the cash pie, which I understand but it is hard to be good at everything.  I like what you said, "Don't overextend your level of expertise to any and all just because you can and because it makes you money."  That is an excellent point. Just because someone is trained in doing basic facials doesn't mean they should do them. Some people might be good at everything, but they are few and far between. I think honing in on your love and passion is what sets good estheticians apart from estheticians who just mildly like doing esthetics, or do it because they can under their license. I can do Brazilian Waxes under my license, but nobody is going to want me to do it because it is not my thing and definitely not my area of passion.

Nicole--I totally agree. There are so many niches within the industry and even within licenses. Which you were excellent in pointing out when you mentioned Brazilians. Some esty's do it all but many choose to specialize in one area within their field. That's why I Cosmo license doesn't make sense to me. How many cosmetologists are practicing hair, nails, and skin at the same time? And doing it well....?

Agree.

I have a cosmo license and the school I attended taught basic facial. I wouldnt have been comfortable to do any skincare or beneficial since we only learned " fluff" but I enjoyed what I learned and decided to extend my education to include paramedical esthetics. I love cosmo but I love esthetics more. I think if I had taken skincare first I probably wouldnt have done cosmo. I love the results I see after doing treatment for acne, fine lines and wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation.

I think that is great that you decided where you love lies...and you can always rely on your cosmo license as a back up plan.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ASCP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service